World Spine Day collaborators and organisations have compiled a helpful set of tips and resources to help you Straighten Up and Move including:
- Canadian Chiropractic Association App and YouTube videos
- British Chiropractic Association “Straighten Up UK” Video
- Tips from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website
- Tips from the American Chiropractic Association website
See below for information and links to all of these resources. If you would like to contribute to our existing database, please contact email@example.com.
The Canadian Chiropractic Association (CCA), in partnership with the 10 provincial chiropractic associations, launched the Straighten Up Canada app on October 16, 2014 to mark World Spine Day.
The app includes 12 individual exercise videos for young people and adults, a tracking feature to monitor progress and set personalized reminders and social media sharing capabilities. The Straighten Up Canada app is available in French and English, and was created to bring awareness to the importance of good posture for optimal spinal health.
The British Chiropractic Association (BCA) launched a 3 minute video as part of their Straighten Up UK campaign in 2007.
Advice from the website of the American Chiropractic Association http://www.acatoday.org/Patients/Health-Wellness-Information/Back-Pain-Facts-and-Statistics)
Tips to Prevent Back Pain
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Remain active—under the supervision of your health professional.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or physical activities, such as gardening.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer workstation is ergonomically correct.
Advice from the website of the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/back_pain/back_pain_ff.asp
Can Back Pain Be Prevented?
The best things you can do to prevent back pain are:
- Exercise often and keep your back muscles strong.
- Maintain a healthy weight or lose weight if you weigh too much. To have strong bones, you need to get enough calcium and vitamin D every day.
- Try to stand up straight and avoid heavy lifting when you can. If you do lift something heavy, bend your legs and keep your back straight.